The Best Vegan and Vegetarian Cosmetics (Makeup, Hair Care, Skin Care, and Nail Care Products)
Updated December 03, 2007
Just because a company says its products are "natural" or "organic" or that they don't test on animals, they may still be using animal derived ingredients. Some companies say "we have vegan products" but that doesn't mean that all of their products are vegan (and they often don't tell you which ones aren't; so you still need to read the labels).
Everything on this list is a Kristen's Pick.
I've tried many products and disappointedly felt like I was throwing away money as I threw them in the trash can because so many of them just didn't do the job well enough (both small label and popular name brands). I've tested the following products personally, and they've all received my seal of approval. They are all completely free of animal testing and animal ingredients.
(If you would like me to test your vegan / vegetarian product, please Contact Me to tell me about it and send me a sample. If it meets my picky standards, I'll tell my visitors about it. Please note, I receive many product samples that don't get my approval, but even if your product doesn't meet my standards, I'll be sure to let you know what improvements need to be made. And don't worry, I don't publish bad reviews.)
- Jason Natural Cosmetics I can't say enough about how much I love this company. Every time I try something of theirs, I love it.
- Beauty Without Cruelty Good products at good prices.
- Kiss My Face Their products are much less expensive than most other brands, but most of their products are excellent quality.
Hair Care Products
- ABBA I was very impressed with how will a tiny bit lathers up and how gentle these shampoos are. I've used the Pure Gentle and the Pure Moisture.
- Giovanni Their tea tree oil shampoo leaves your hair tingly and does a great job of cleaning. It's the only shampoo my husband wants to use now (and he's pickier than I am).
- Jason You have to use a bit more than other products to get a good lather, but they're great for washing fine hair without weighing it down. My kids love the no-tears kid formula.
- ABBA I first tried the leave-in conditioner. I admit, I was a bit apprehensive because most leave-in conditioners leave your hair greasy, but this stuff was great. My hair felt smooth, soft, and bouncy. (Just make sure you don't use too much. It only takes a little. And comb it through your wet hair to ensure that it is evenly distributed.)
- Giovanni I really like the way Giovanni conditioner makes my scalp tingle and leaves my hair feeling very moisturized.
- Jason A great rinse-out conditioner. I use it almost daily.
Shine and Anti-Frizz
- Jason I use the Jason Smoothing Serum almost daily. I love the way it smells and the way it makes my hair shine. I spray it on my brush, and brush it through damp hair. It's also great at removing tangles.
- Giovanni The Giovanni Shine of the Times mist is wonderful, but I recommend spraying it on your brush rather than as a mist because it just seems to work better that way. (Caution: Do NOT spray it over a tile, vinyl, or other hard floors. It makes them very slippery.)
- ABBA Pure Thermal Protect Their Thermal Protect product truly impressed me. I sprayed it on damp hair, brushed it through, and waited awhile for my hair to dry a bit. Then I curled my hair with a hot iron. My curls actually stayed in place much longer than they normally do, and my hair didn't feel sticky, stiff, or greasy.
- ABBA Styling Gel Another ABBA product that impressed me. It holds well but isn't too stiff.
Skin Care Products
- Jason Liquid soaps with all the quality expected in Jason products. My favorite is the tea tree / melaleuca soap for it's anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties .
- Kiss My Face Excellent liquid soaps and olive oil based bar soaps.
- Clearly Natural Inexpensive glycerine bar soaps with fantastic scents. These are great for gift baskets since they're so inexpensive.
- Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps A variety of castile soaps made with organic oils.
- Giovanni Their tea tree oil body washes leave you feeling very clean and smell wonderful.
- Yves Rocher I was very impressed with their eye-makeup remover.
- Jason I especially love their tea tree deodorant because it last for such a long time.
- Kiss My Face My favorite is their Active-Enzyme stick.
- Crystal This impressed me. It's a mineral crystal stone that you wet with water and rub under your arms. You can also get a spray-on version. Since it is salt, though, don't use it right after shaving.
- Kiss My Face My favorite Kiss My Face moisturizers are the Vitamin A & E formula (which is very moisturizing) and the Peaches and Cream with alpha hydroxy acid formula (which is very light).
- Jason Their moisturizers are among my favorites. Their "Red Elements" line has copper in it, which is great for fighting wrinkles. I love their Red Elements Daily Moisturizer with SPF.
- Nature's Gate Their moisturizers are inexpensive. They're formula is a bit heavier than other moisturizers I've used, so they're great for very dry skin or rough patches.
- Jason The Hyper-C Serum is wonderful for dry skin and wrinkle prevention. Since it's oil based, though, you may want to skip it if you have oily skin.
- Kiss My Face Their "C the Change" also has oil in it, but seems less oily than Jason's Hyper-C Serum.
- Kiss My Face Their acne gel uses tee tree oil to treat acne.
- Home Health Salicylic Acid acne treatment. Just put it on any area prone to breakouts. It's especially useful during monthly hormonal changes.
- The Merry Hempsters Their lip balms are made from hemp seed oil (and no, you can't get high from it).
- Kiss My Face (vegetarian, not vegan) Lots of flavors and inexpensive prices. I especially like the mint flavor with SPF.
- Dr. Bronner's and Sun Dog's Magic Organic Lip Balm (vegetarian, not vegan) I love all the flavors they offer.
Lip Color, Lipsticks, and Lip Pencils
- Beauty Without Cruelty Lip Liners Their lip pencils come in a variety of colors.
- Beauty Without Cruelty Lipsticks Their lipsticks are rich, moisturizing, and beautiful.
- Terra Tints (vegetarian, not vegan) These are perfect for the girl who wants a little color and a moisturizing lip balm all in one.
- Beauty Without Cruelty Their liquid foundations provide a medium coverage.
- Yves Rocher Their powder stick foundation is the only kind I've found that gives me just enough coverage without clogging my pores or causing acne flare-ups, so it's great for everyday use. I buy it in bulk. (For flawless coverage, though, such as for photos, you may want to use something a bit heavier.)
- Beauty Without Cruelty I love the stick style concealer because it's easy to put on when you're on the go.
- Beauty Without Cruelty Their colors powders are good for evening your skin tone when you're posing for photos.
- Yves RocherTheir translucent powder is my favorite for giving a nice matte finish without affecting the color of my foundation.
- Beauty Without Cruelty They have beautiful shades for a variety of skin types.
- Beauty Without Cruelty They have a variety of shades, but my favorite are Oakmoss and Tamarind.
- Beauty Without Cruelty Their pencil eye liner is my favorite, but they also have liquid liner.
- Yves Rocher I really love their waterproof mascara. It's inexpensive, great for everyday use, and it doesn't clump.
- Beauty Without Cruelty Again, I'm a fan of the waterproof mascara, but they also have non-waterproof formulas. Their full volume formula is great for creating stunning eyes when you're posing for photos.
Nail Polish / Nail Treatments
- Still looking for a brand to recommend. Everything seems to chip easily or peel right off. Let me know if you can recommend any.
See other Kristen's Guide topics in this category.